The Deed App aims to increase the ease of giving to the homeless in our communities. The driving idea behind this project is that the homeless are often forgotten and we are trying to lower the barrier of entry for people to connect with and help them.
Here is a brief overview of how our app works:
- Homeless participants, or “Deeders” as we have taken to calling them, choose a unique name that identifies them within the app.
- After creating a simple profile, app users are able to search for these Deeders through an auto-populating search field.
- The search leads to a profile created for each Deeder (potentially including a picture and self-created story) where users can set a donation amount and easily donate through Paypal via which open in Safari browser.
- When the user touches the donate button they will be redirected to a Safari webpage to complete the transaction.
- At the end of each week, we distribute the donations to the Deeders in the form of food/retail gift cards.
- Additionally, users can track their donations, which would qualify as charitable deductions (501(c)3 Status Pending).
- Users also see other users donations to a Deeder.